Resources and Information Services in Professions and Disciplines
Topics: Visual Resources Curation and Arts Librarianship (2 units)
This course will offer an overview of visual resources and arts information professions, including visual resources curation, art and design school librarianship, academic liaison librarianship, and museum librarianship. Throughout the course, students will explore the history, background, and core competencies for describing, organizing, and providing access to visual materials in all media and information about fine arts, design, architecture, and related fields. Weekly readings, discussions, reflection blog posts, and practice exercises are designed to introduce students to tools, resources, and services for working with users of visual materials and art information in different professional settings. Additionally, each student will choose an emerging issue or ongoing conversation to investigate, culminating in a final project that explores theoretical and practical concerns in the fields of visual resources and art information.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs)
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Articulate the distinguishing characteristics and required core competencies of different visual resources and arts information professions, including visual resources curation, art and design school librarianship, academic liaison librarianship, and museum librarianship.
- Recognize emerging issues and ongoing conversations in visual resources and arts information professions, such as those around open access, copyright, and fair use of visual materials; services and support for digital arts and humanities research; integration of visual literacy competencies in information literacy instruction; and best practices for digital preservation of student work in art and design programs.
- Explain and promote tools, technologies, and resources for visual resources, digital exhibits, and art scholarship to users in a range of settings, such as visual artists, arts and humanities researchers, and museum users.
- Identify professional organizations and opportunities for professional development in visual resources and arts information professions.
Core Competencies: F
- Assignments: Weekly readings & discussions (20%)
- Personal reflection blog posts (20%)
- Art information reference exercise (10%)
- Evaluation of an open access digital image collection (10%)
- Exploration of an emerging issue - final project (students can choose from a variety of project formats) (40%)