iSchool Advising: Overview
Our advising model features a way for our students to get the answers they need from the experts in their chosen areas of study within Library and Information Science. This approach is designed to accommodate our online format, our multiple career pathways, and allow all students to benefit from the varied specialties of our faculty experts.
Download a glossary of terms to help you navigate all that the advising toolkit has to offer.
iSchool students should make use of the iSchool Advising Toolkit while attending their core courses, in order to develop a customized plan directed toward an individual’s own career path goals. The SJSU School of Information offers numerous career pathways for your consideration, and this is only a partial list of the diverse career directions you can follow with an MLIS degree. The career pathways are provided solely for advising purposes. There is no requirement to follow a particular career pathway – you can pull classes from a variety of areas.
MLIS Students utilize extensive Career Development resources, with support from our Canvas Advising Portal, advice from the iStudent Blog, and consultations with a network of peer mentors, faculty pathway advisors, student services advisors, and support liaisons from the Career Center and King Library, to create a personal roadmap through the MLIS program [watch a screencast tutorial]. MARA students and Teacher Librarian credential students work with the faculty program coordinators of these programs, and are joined to these respective specialized academic advising portals in Canvas. All iSchool students can and should take advantage of the breadth and depth the Career Development team provides, including one-on-one counseling and resume/cover letter review.
SJSU iSchool: A Network of Support on your Path to Success
- INFO 203 Peer Mentors work with students in the introductory course, providing opportunities for engagement.
- Faculty Pathway Advisors are available to consult with any student regarding focused questions related to course selection and career path.
- Administrative and Procedural advisement, resources, and outreach are provided by the iSchool Student Services Team.
- Watch a Welcome Message from iSchool Student Services
- MARA Program planning and advisement is provided by the MARA Program Coordinator.
- Teacher Librarian advising is conducted by the Teacher Librarian Credential Program Coordinator.
- Extensive Career Development resources are available online, and the Career Center Liaison is available to consult with iSchool students and alumni.
Choose the right resource for your advising need.